Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 1 Making Dough

It was a late night last night for me. By the time I returned home from work, did a few loads of laundry, got out the kids school clothes and backpack, then unwound, it was around 1:30 am before I got to sleep.
But, I told myself that when my other kids left for school this morning, I would start making the cookie dough, and I did.
After the kids left I got out what I needed and got to work. So please excuse my attire...I know the snoopy pj pants are so GQ, but I live in my pajama pants, when I'm at home, mainly because I'm too busy with my kids to worry about what I've got on. I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean:)
Here we go with Day 1 of making the dough. Oh and I was on dough batch #2 before I remembered to get my camera, then forgot to fix the timestamp when I changed the batteries. I could tell already it was going ot be 'one of those days'.  I guess my brain wasn't working yet and later I'll let you know why I definately know I was too tired to do this first thing in the morning. Okay, here I am batch 2. Getting ready to cream the butter and sugar.

--------------------------------------------
While the butter and sugar are being creamed together, it gives me a 3 or so minute window and I jump over to the other side of my kitchen to unwrap more butter sticks. 
Yes, you'll note the Mountain Dew bottle, I admit, it's my morning coffee, so to speak.

 Now, I'd like to say that you couldn't see behind me in photo 1, or to the left of me in photo 2, there's a good reason for this. Okay, I'll let you look.

Here is what was hidden behind me. Mia insisted on being my helper today. I told her to say something when I took her picture, so she yelled "Somethingggg"..she just turned 4, I should've known:) Back to the cookie dough now.

I sift my flour, I do everytime I make decorated cookies, do you?  I just think it makes the dough have a nicer consistency. I also add the flour in 2 or 3 increments. Now back onto my kitchen aide for one final mix. 'Note my trusty helper is right at my side to make sure I can handle the task at hand.'

---------------------------------------------
Now that it's mixing for a minute or so, I'd like to show you the other sideline member. Gus is fighting a cold but he's so patient, sitting, watching us make a mess of the kitchen. I know he's wishing he could help too. Oh, and in his photo there's "a clue, a clue" to the style of cookies I'm making. Yes, you know it's for Valentine's Day, but I haven't told you what style yet. Did I just quote Blue's Clues...sheesh I've seen to many episodes of blues clues over the years I guess.

-------------------------------------
We're on our last batch of dough for the day, it's time to make the kids lunch and get ready for work.

So, my trusty helper and I knead the 6th batch dough a bit, and wrap it up so it can be refrigerated to firm up.
 
-----------------------------------------------
I Made my kids lunch and decided I'd make myself a sandwich before I get ready for work. I grab for the bread on the top of my refrigerator.  I had sat my flour on top of it earlier to get it out of the way. Anyway, I open the door to the fridge *yeah I call it a fridge a lot* and guess what?? Oh, it's not what your thinking I'll bet.
I realize that I had accidentally grabbed my bread flour and that is what I had been using all day to make cookie dough with!!! I was furious with myself!! I threw the bread at that dumb flour sack, and continued to be 'mad'. I couldn't believe I did that, ugh.
I headed upstairs to get ready for work, by the time I came down I was a bit more calm, lol. I decided I'd just make the kids cookies out of it for home, they'll eat them as long as it's cookie shaped, and I throw some sprinkles on them. lol.

So, tomorrow I start fresh, but will update you again, when I'm ready to bake the cookies!!







0 comments: