Thursday, September 20, 2012

Old Jars ..New Purpose

  Today is a day to try and get some things done. It sometimes seems to be a losing battle. I can think to myself , "okay today I need to get this, this and that done today", but in the end, only one of those things may actually get done. While the kids are at school I make a decision everyday to get things that need to be done..done. Then I stop and think again, "hmm, do I really want to work more while the baby is taking a nap or do I want to take a nap too?" I usually opt for the nap too. Today though, since the baby is refusing his nap and I can't mop the floors with him up and about, I thought I'd come here and share what I did the other day. Lucky you!
  This is a easy easy craft you can do with kids or not. Don't get me wrong, I love to do things with my kids, but sometimes I just have an idea and want to get it done without a dozen other helping hands. These are so cute, cheap and easy to do. Let's start with supplies needed for this project. Oh, wait I'll show you first what the project is. Please excuse my very poor picture. I took it with my phone, since moving I've yet to find my camera.


Now onto the supplies needed.
  • Start saving old jars, any jars as long as they're glass ones.
  • Tissue paper (the kind you buy to put in gift bags) I bought mine at Hobby they have every color you could imagine.
  • Some people use modge podge but I use plain old elmers glue and water, So much cheaper and works great!!
  • black paint for faces
Some kind of spray sealer. I bought a satin clear finish at Walmart for around $3.00.

-First wach and dry your glass jars and set aside.
-Then I decide what type of face I'm going to make. Obviously for these I did Halloween faces so I'm sticking to orange, purple, white and green tissue paper. Here's a tip. cut a long strip and hold it against your jar to see how long you will need it, then cut only what you think will cover the jar. If you cut all the same length then they may not cover the length of your other jars..make sense?
-get a old bowl and any old paint brush and mix only what glue you think you will use. You can always mix up more if needed, it only takes a minute to do. I mix apprx. 60% glue with 40% water. No real measuring of glue and water, just till the glue is somewhat runny but still able to keep on your paintbrush.
-With your paint brush dip into the glue mixture and make a strip of glue and add a strip of tissue paper on top of that. You can smooth it with your fingers and just keep going around the jar til it's covered in tissue paper.
-Once the jar is covered let it dry completely. Don't worry if you can see glue..it dries clear!:)
-Paint on a face and spray with clear spray..Thats it!! Super easy and very cute at night drop a tealight in and watch it glow.
 

0 comments: